The John Hampden War Memorial Fund exists to make awards to students in tertiary education and to give money to School departments so that they can buy additional equipment, text books and teaching aids. The Fund has been in existence in one form or another for ninety years or so and its history explains the name:
A Brief History of the John Hampden War Memorial Fund
In its initial incarnation it started in 1920 when Mr G.E Shrimpton, Secretary of the OTA presented the War Memorial to Mr Wykenham, Chairman of the Governors. The Memorial took the form of an oak tablet inscribed with the School Arms and the names of those fallen. At the same time, a War Memorial Prize was given to the School, to be handed to the boy who exercised the best influence in or out of School, and a bound volume with the names of all those known to have served. The Memorial was unveiled by General Sir Hew Fanshawe and the School Hymn and ‘For All The Saints’ were sung.
Some ten years later in 1931, the ‘John Hampden Leaving Scholarship Fund’ was finally established after some years of being mooted. Its purpose was to provide financial assistance to encourage a pupil to attend university. One of the OT’s past Presidents, R.E Crawford, was the driving force of the idea.
Then in 1947 at an Extraordinary General Meeting in the summer, it was agreed to amalgamate the John Hampden Scholarship Fund and the War Memorial Fund of the 1914-18 War to form the new John Hampden War Memorial Scholarship Fund. The trustees were J F Castle, F A Dangerfield. J F Shrimpton, A C Dyer, R E Crawford, H M Purser, B W Lidington, S Mears, C Simmons, and the Headmaster. Its purpose was to award three year scholarships to help boys progress through tertiary education. The Fund had £255. 9s 7d on deposit in the Post Office Savings Bank; and £33 deposited with Lloyds Bank, Thame.
And its been going ever since with awards being made annually.