Category: Uncategorized

Draft AGM Minutes 2016


Revised Founder’s Day Timetable

Revised Founder’s Day timetable: 5 November 2016 0845: St Mary’s Church opens 0915: Service 1015: Coffee break in the 6 Form Centre (it seems people always like to have a good chat at the coffee break so we’ve extended it)) 1145: Start of AGM in Library 1100: School tours 1230: Lunch with music (cost £12) …

Continue reading

Founders Day 5 November 2016

The timetable for the day: 0845: St Mary’s Church opens 0915: Service 1015: Coffee (it seems people always like to have a good chat at the coffee break) 1115: School tours and art installation 1200: We hold the AGM in the school hall and keep it to 45 minutes. Present sculpture video on a loop, and …

Continue reading

Golf 2016

Details for this year’s OT golf on Friday 27 May at Studley Wood GC. Start time from 12noon depending on entry numbers. Bacon bap & coffee/tea on arrival; 18 holes of golf followed by 2-course meal. Entry cost is held at £48 visitors £20 members Those of you who brought guests/new OT players last year …

Continue reading

Reginald F E Rhodes MC

Lt R Rhodes, recorded in the Tamensian as being awarded the MC while serving with the 12th Hussars in WW1. He was born 28 Feb 1891 and the census of that year taken 5 April records him as one month old. His father John Rhodes owned or at least managed the Lamb and Flag in …

Continue reading

School Numbers early 1900

Numbers on roll according to Howard Brown and Terminal lists from April 1906 (autumn term unless otherwise stated) 1899 22 (6 boarders) 1900 72 (36 boarders) 1901 ?? (39 boarders) 1905/1906 Apr 65 1906/7 Dec 60 1907-8 Dec/Apr 59-69 1908-9 Dec/Apr/Jul 67-76 1909-10 Dec/Apr/Jul 78-73 So it seems that after a big jump in numbers 1899-1901 …

Continue reading

OT Committee Meeting

Will be held this coming Saturday 19 September. Please email us if you wish to have any items discussed.

Arthur Dye Headmaster 1938 – 45

A previous archivist, Gerald Howat, gave a lecture on the history of the school from 1866 to 1944 and this has some balanced comments to make about Arthur Dyer. When he succeeded Walter Bye as headmaster he was actually older than his predecessor, who went on to another headship. The two men were quite similar: …

Continue reading

Founders Day 1963

Founder’s Day back in November 1963: the service was conducted by the Rev R H Faulkener (one of the longest serving vicars of St Mary’s, Thame) and the address was given by the Rev Eric Mathieson – an Old Boy of the School and formerly of Chinnor. The Rev Mathieson was a ‘star’ in his …

Continue reading

A description of Thame Grammar School from 1828

When there were six boys in the school.